153 Phillip offers a wide breadth of expertise and experience in regulatory practice.
Our barristers are experts in the laws and agencies regulating commercial activity in Australia. We routinely advise and appear in relation those laws and actions taken by agencies such as:
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Australian Taxation Office
- Australian Border Force
- NSW Office of State Revenue
A number of our barristers have specialist expertise in matters involving white-collar/economic crime, especially in connection with investigations and proceedings involving the:
- Australian Federal Police
- New South Wales Crime Commission
- Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
Our barristers appear as advocates for individual and Government clients in hearings ranging from private examinations to appeals to the High Court of Australia. Our members have experience being briefed by both in-house counsel and solicitors at every stage of regulatory proceedings and provide commercial advice about: compliance; surveillance; audits; investigations; administrative actions and appeals; class actions; civil penalty proceedings; criminal prosecutions.
A number of our barristers have direct experience working within regulators prior to coming to the Bar. That experience gives us particular insights into the complex and often time-sensitive issues that our clients face.
Our specific areas of expertise include:
- Competition and Consumer
- Money-laundering and Proceeds of Crime
- Banking and Financial Services
- Financial Markets
- Broadcasting and Telecommunications
- Malicious prosecution and Defamation