Luke has a busy commercial practice and has developed a specialised profile in financial and corporate crime.
His particular expertise is in proceeds of crime litigation and asset forfeiture proceedings. Luke appears in all jurisdictions including regularly appearing in Courts out of metropolitan Sydney.
Areas of practice
- Regulatory litigation
- Fraud and money-laundering
- Proceeds of Crime/Asset-Forfeiture
- Barrister (2014 – present)
- Senior Litigation Lawyer, Australian Federal Police (2012 – 2014)
- Senior Associate, Henry Davis York Lawyers (2007 – 2012)
- Tipstaff, Mr. Justice Handley AO OStJ, New South Wales Supreme Court, Court of Appeal (2006)
- Captain, Australian Army Legal Corps.
Proceeds of Crime/AML
- Briefed in several matters in the Supreme Court of New South Wales (unled and led by Temby AO QC, Jordan SC and Gray SC) appearing on behalf of applicants in proceedings brought by the Australian Federal Police under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (Cth) for exclusion orders, revocation orders and compensation orders
- Regularly briefed to appear on behalf of examinees in compulsory examinations conducted by the:
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission;
- Australian Taxation Office;
- New South Wales and Australian Crime Commissions; and
- Australian Federal Police
- Advice practice in relation to AML/CTF compliance.
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning a partnership dispute (led by Studdy SC)
- Supreme Court proceedings to oppose freezing orders and to challenge the Receiver’s claim to remuneration (led by Pritchard SC)
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning the dissolution of the partnership (led by Painter SC).
- Supreme Court professional negligence proceedings involving commercial leasing agents (unled).
- Supreme and District Court injunction proceedings.
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning alleged mis-use of confidential information (and injunctions)(unled).
- Supreme Court shareholder dispute (unled).
- District Court proceedings involving commercial building claims and restitution (unled).
- Local Court proceedings involving civil claims under statutory payments scheme (unled).
- Briefed to act on behalf of the Victorian Police in relation to the ‘Lawyer X’ proceedings
- Briefed to appear on behalf of an Accused in a District Court of New South Wales trial for money laundering charges under Part 400 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth)
- Regularly briefed by the Crown Solicitor of New South Wales to appear on behalf of the New South Wales Commissioner of Police in relation to applications made under the Law Enforcement and National Security (Assumed Identities) Act 2010 (NSW)
- Briefed in a complex Commonwealth tobacco import prosecution
- Regularly briefed in sentencing matters in the District and Local Courts of New South Wales (including traffic offences)
Regulatory Litigation / Commissions and Inquiries
- Briefed to act for the former Chairman of RSL LifeCare Limited in the Public Inquiry Under the Charitable Fundraising Act 1991 before Hon P Bergin SC (unled).
- Briefed by the New South Wales Department of Industry to appear for the New South Wales Mine Subsidence Board, a statutory body, before the Independent Commission Against Corruption (led by Hogan-Doran SC).