Luke practises across the full range of commercial work, with a particular expertise in economic crime and regulatory litigation. He also practises in insolvency and defamation.
Luke accepts briefs to appear in interstate matters and does so regularly particularly in relation to proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (Cth).
- Barrister, 153 Phillip Barristers (2017 – present);
- Barrister, 6 St James’ Hall (2014 – 2017);
- Senior Litigation Lawyer, Australian Federal Police (2012 – 2014);
- Senior Associate, Henry Davis York Lawyers (2007 – 2012);
- Associate, The Hon. Mr. Justice Handley AO OStJ, New South Wales Supreme Court, Court of Appeal (2006).
- Luke is an active reservist in the Australian Army Legal Corps where he holds the Commission of Captain.
- Regulatory litigation;
- Proceeds of Crime/Asset-Forfeiture;
- Military Law.
Proceeds of Crime/Asset Forfeiture proceedings
- Briefed in several matters in the Supreme Court of New South Wales (unled and led by Temby AO QC and Jordan SC) appearing on behalf of applicants in proceedings brought by the Australian Federal Police under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (Cth) for exclusion orders, revocation orders and compensation orders (instructed by Avantro Lawyers, Sydney and Nevile & Co Commercial Lawyers, Melbourne).
- Regularly briefed to appear on behalf of examinees in compulsory examinations conducted by the:
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission;
- Australian Taxation Office;
- New South Wales and Australian Crime Commissions; and
- Australian Federal Police
- Experience providing advice to in relation to the provision of ‘designated services’ under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth) and related compliance issues with AUSTRAC/AFP.
Regulatory Litigation / Commissions and Inquiries
- Briefed to act for the former Chairman of RSL LifeCare Limited in the Public Inquiry Under the Charitable Fundraising Act 1991 before The Hon P Bergin SC (unled, instructed by PwC Legal).
- Briefed by the New South Wales Department of Industry to appear for the New South Wales Mine Subsidence Board, a statutory body, before the Independent Commission Against Corruption (led by Hogan-Doran SC, instructed by Kilmurray Lawyers, Newcastle).
- Briefed to appear for a property developer in Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings to oppose freezing orders and to challenge the Receiver’s claim to remuneration (led by Pritchard SC, instructed by Marsdens Law Group).
- Brief to appear for a medical partnership in Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings in connection with the dissolution of the partnership (led by Painter SC, instructed by Mason Lawyers, Newcastle).
- Briefed to appear on behalf of a leading truck dealership in Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings in a commercial dispute (led by Painter SC, instructed by ERA Legal).
- Briefed to appear on behalf of the former owner of a large commercial shopping complex in professional negligence proceedings in the Supreme Court of New South Wales against former commercial leasing agents (unled, instructed by Marsdens Law Group).
- Briefed to appear in several urgent applications for freezing and related orders in the Supreme Court of New South Wales (unled, instructed by Henry Davis York Lawyers and Marsdens Law Group).
- Briefed to appear on behalf of a large provider of commercial training services in the Supreme Court of New South Wales to restrain a former employee from making use of confidential information (unled, instructed by Henry Davis York Lawyers).
- Briefed to appear on behalf of a director in a shareholder dispute in the Supreme Court of New South Wales against a co-director concerning the misuse of confidential information (unled, instructed by Mardens Law Group).
- Briefed to appear for the supplier of CCTV security systems in District Court of New South Wales proceedings (unled, instructed by Marsdens Law Group).
- Briefed to appear in Local Court proceedings for recovery of payments under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (unled, instructed by Henry Davis York Lawyers).
- Briefed by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia to act for a senior executive in defamation proceedings (led by Gray SC and Matthew Richardson of counsel, instructed by Clayton Utz).
- Experience appearing in interlocutory applications in the in the Supreme and District Courts of New South Wales (unled).
- Regularly briefed directly by in-house counsel and solicitors to appear on behalf of both applicants and respondents in proceedings to enforce or set aside statutory demands in both the Federal Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Briefed to appear on behalf of an Accused in a District Court of New South Wales trial for money laundering charges under Part 400 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth).
- Regularly briefed by the Crown Solicitor of New South Wales to appear on behalf of the New South Wales Commissioner of Police in relation to applications made under the Law Enforcement and National Security (Assumed Identities) Act 2010 (NSW) (unled, instructed by the office of the New South Wales Crown Solicitor).
- Regularly briefed in sentencing matters in the District and Local Courts of New South Wales (including traffic offences).
- DLaw (USYD)
- LLM (UNSW)