Barry practises in all aspects of commercial and civil law for a range of individual, corporate and government clients. His practice includes civil litigation, administrative appeals, regulatory inquiries and white-collar criminal defence. He has particular experience in commercial and civil disputes involving allegations of regulatory, criminal or other misconduct. Before coming to the bar, Barry practised as a solicitor for eight years, first at Mallesons Stephen Jaques (now King & Wood Mallesons) and then at ASIC, across a range of commercial, regulatory and litigious matters.
- Administrative Law
- Banking, Securities and Insolvency
- Competition and Consumer
- Corporate and Commercial
- Media and Defamation
- Regulatory and Criminal Law
- Equity and Trusts
Corporate & Commercial Law
- De Belin v Australian Rugby League Commission Ltd  FCA 688 (Perry J) – application seeking relief for misleading or deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct, tortious inference in contractual relations, and restraint of trade in respect of conduct implementing a no-fault rule banning rugby league player from playing in the NRL competition – appeared led by M Einfeld QC on trial for the applicant.
- Brar v De Castro  NSWCA 241 (Macfarlan and Gleeson JJA, Sackville AJA) – appeal from District Court judgment under contractual guarantee – appeared unled for the appellant.
- Zhang v Ehrenfeld (2015) 295 FLR 74;  FCCA 877 (Judge Lloyd-Jones) – opposition to creditor’s petition based on invalid service of bankruptcy notice – appeared unled for the respondent debtor
- VPlus Holdings Pty Ltd v Bank of Western Australia Ltd (2012) 91 ACSR 545;  NSWSC 1327 (Stevenson J) – application to strike out shareholder claims against bank and liquidators – appeared led by RC Scruby for the applicant defendants.
Media & Defamation
- State of New South Wales v Wraydeh  NSWCA 191 (McCallum JA, Emmett and Simpson AJJA) – appeal against interlocutory decision to permit plaintiff in defamation proceedings to adopt defendant’s contextual imputations – appeared led by S Chrysanthou for the appellant defendant.
- Raynor v Murray  NSWDC 189 (Gibson DCJ) – claim in defamation for email sent to members of strata committee about chairman – appeared led by S Chrysanthou on trial for the defendant.
- Hanson-Young v Leyonhjelm (2018) 364 ALR 624;  FCA 1688 (White J) – interlocutory application to strike out, dismiss or stay defamation proceedings on various basis including parliamentary privilege – appeared led by S Chrysanthou for the applicant Senator Hanson-Young who was the respondent on the interlocutory application.
- Bolton v Stoltenberg  NSWSC 1518 (Payne J) – claim in defamation arising from posts on a Facebook page dedicated to local council issues – appeared led by S Chrysanthou on trial for the first defendant.
- Collier v Country Women’s Association of NSW  NSWSC 1573 (Adamson J) – claims in defamation and equity arising from disciplinary action against incorporated association member – appeared led by S Chrysanthou on trial for the defendant.
- AW v R  NSWCCA 227 (Payne JA, Campbell and Wilson JA) – Appeal against District Court judgment not to make suppression orders against prejudicial information on media websites – appeared led by E Ozen for appellant accused.
- Regulatory & Criminal Law
- Wood v State of New South Wales  NSWSC 1247 (Fullerton J) – claim for malicious prosecution arising from wrongful conviction for murder – appeared led by B McClintock SC on trial for the plaintiff.
- Scott v R  NSWCCA 296 (Hoeben CJ at CL, McCallum and Bellew JJ) – appeal against conviction for murder – appeared led by C Loukas SC (now Loukas-Karlsson J, ACT Supreme Court) for the appellant.
- Barker v The Queen  ACTCA 16 (Refshauge, Burns and Rangiah JJ) – Offender appeal against sentence – appeared unled for appellant.
- R v Pratten (No 25)  NSWSC 539; (No 20)  NSWSC 1102 (Rothman J) – Tax fraud prosecution – appeared led by S Grant (now Grant DCJ, NSW District Court) on trial and sentence for accused/offender.
- Attorney – General (NSW) v CMB  NSWCCA 166 (Leeming and Simpson JJA, Hamill J) – Crown sentence appeal on remittal from High Court – appeared led by C Loukas SC (now Loukas-Karlsson J, ACT Supreme Court) for the respondent
- CMB v AG (NSW) (2015) 256 CLR 346;  HCA 9 (French CJ, Kiefel, Bell, Gageler, and Keane JJ) – Offender appeal against successful Crown sentence appeal – Appeared led by C Loukas SC (now Loukas-Karlsson J, ACT Supreme Court) and GA Bashir SC for appellant.
- Vigours v Medical Council of NSW  NSWCATOD 75 (Cole DCJ, I Rewell, S Patel, M Kelly) – application for reinstatement to apply for registration as a medical practitioner – appeared unled for the applicant.
- SZVCZ v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (2017) 252 FCR 540;  FCAFC 130 (Siopis, Logan and Markovic JJ) – appeal against unsuccessful application for judicial review of refugee review decision – appeared unled for the appellant pursuant to pro bono referral.
- Johnson v Lukeman  NSWCATAP 272;  NSWCATAP 45 (R Seiden SC, T Simon) – appeal against monetary judgment against home builder for breach of statutory warranties – appeared unled for the respondent home owners.
- ZBVK v Cmr of Taxation (2014) 99 ATR 227;  AATA 576 (Frost DP) – application to review income tax assessment objection decision – appeared led by JS Gleeson SC (now Gleeson J, Federal Court of Australia) for the applicant taxpayer.
- SZRIQ v Federal Magistrates Court of Australia (2013) 239 FCR 442;  FCA 1284 (Foster J) – application for judicial review of (the then) Federal Magistrates Court decision to dismiss application to extend time to apply for judicial review of refugee review decision – appeared led by JD Smith (now Smith SC DCJ, NSW District Court) for the applicant.
Admissions & Appointments
- Barrister NSW 2012
- Attorney NY USA 2005
- Solicitor VIC 2005
- Solicitor NSW 2003
- LLM University of Sydney 2011
- LLB (Hons) University of Sydney2003
- BOptom (Hons) University of New South Wales 1999